Thursday, January 31, 2013

One step forward 5 steps back and I literally mean 5 steps.

Sigh… let’s move back a few days when Roland stained our stairs Matt, with his eagle eyes (he notices EVERYTHING) noticed that there were tiny stripes in the stain, like tiger stripes. He asked Roland about it and we found out that when the stairs are manufactured and sent through the machine to be cut and sanded, the blade sometimes gets dull causing chop lines in the wood. The wood is smooth as can be but the chopping lines are there and cause an issue when the wood is stained. Roland told Matt that this was something that he had noticed and should have caught it earlier. According to him they never should have even left the manufacturer that way.

I was oblivious to the whole issue until Matt pointed it out. He even had to show me which steps were affected because I was having a hard time seeing the issue. To Matt though they were like a glaring red light shining in his face. Obviously remodeling stairs is not a cheap thing to do and we want to get what we are paying for. So...
The plan was to have Roland sand down one step, taking the stain off and trying to restain it. If it looked better, then, we were going to do the same to the other steps that were affected. If it was the same or worse, it would need to be replaced. When I got home yesterday there were 5 steps that had been sanded down. To this I say, let’s hope this sanding / restaining works because if it doesn’t that is 5 steps that are going to have to be completely replaced.
I have to say that despite approaching week 2 of this 5-7 day project, Roland has been great. He is a very standup guy that is there to make sure the project is done exactly how you want it. He even has gone the extra mile to make sure we remain happy.
An example of this, yesterday he informed Matt that the balusters that we ordered were actually $800 more than what he quoted them at. He admitted that he made a mistake on our quote page and is not charging us extra for the error. I like his honesty! He is also discounting the stairs for the issues we have had with the wood. We really like Roland. He is doing great, is easy to talk to and in the end these stairs are going to be beautiful!
Despite the recent set back, there has also been something new, our rails have now been stained and will soon be ready for installation. They look great! I will be so excited when there is something to hold onto coming down the stairs!
Sorry the pictures below aren’t that great. They were taken with my phone since I left my memory stick at work yesterday. You can still get the idea…

Our 5 naked stairs. You can also see the oval rosettes that will help hold the wall rail in place sitting on the steps.
 Railing
 and more railing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope the next blog has all under control and rails are up and all the past orders are there to be put in place...Time was all that was lost....take care...Hugs,Grandma