Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Fairy Tales

At my work we have a Daily Prayer E-mail. Usually the top of the e-mail there is a "message". Usually they are parts of sermons, poems, inspirational words of faith etc... you get the idea. Then at the bottom it has requests from individual seeking special prayers.
Today's message caught my eye. Probably because it was about Fairy Tales and I do happen to have a 4 year old that lives in my house that just the other day was heard saying to Drew" Isn't Belle beautiful? She looks just like me" Calyn believes she is a Fairy Tale Princess and I think she is too.
Anyway, I wanted to share this Fairy Tale perspective with you.

Long before I knew the stories were called fairy tales, I loved them. It would be years before I understood how fairy tales are different from other stories, but in my earliest memories, my heart soared when I heard the words “Once upon a time . . .”

Fairy tales are still very precious to me, but for far deeper reasons. Many of the tales provide direct glimpses into the way the world should have gone, delightfully confirming a deep suspicion that life should be different.
Fairy tales are like a pair of glasses—not the rose-colored kind that make everything look wonderful, but the kind that bring reality into focus. Like good bifocals, they help us discern the way the world really is up close, without losing the bigger picture of the way the world was intended to be.
The world of fairy tales sharply reveals that what we see around us is not all there is. There is more, much more. Fairy tales suggest and give glimpses of a very different, invisible kingdom—a world that lives between the illusions of the perfect and the real worlds. Fairy tales offer hope. And hope, like nothing else in the world, inspires us and motivates us to keep going.
— Nicole Johnson
Excerpted from A Grand New Day © 2008 by Thomas Nelson. Published in Nashville, Tennessee, by Thomas Nelson. Used with permission. All rights reserved.

http://blogs.womenoffaith.com/blog/2010/06/fairy-tales/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How special...and I say..."Always Believe" Calyn, because you see all the wonderful things in life and want to be a part of it....Go for it...Believe and Hope, always..Hugs, Grandma...(Wow you,Corry and Drew are doing great at the Gym)