Last night we had a little scare. As I was cooking dinner Cozmo and Lexi were under my feet in the kitchen as usual. I noticed, however, that Cozmo was not himself. He couldn’t stand still and by that I mean he would try and stand in one spot and he couldn’t he would stagger to the left and fall then stagger to the right and fall. If he tried to walk about every step he took, he fell. Immediately I called Matt as I was in tears and said “I think Coz has had a stroke” He tells me he is on his way and I continue cooking the kids dinner and keeping a close eye on Cozmo. The odd thing about it all is he seemed to have his wits about him. He still knew where his food was, knew when and where he needed to go to the bathroom for the most part he seemed normal, aside from the excessive shaking and him having major problems walking, he was still Cozmo.
After a little while I said Calyn do you want ketchup on your plate? There was no answer from her. Again, I said Calyn do you want ketchup? She just sat there looking at the TV. This time I just said CALYN. She turned around with the biggest crocodile tears and just started bawling. I ran over to her and sat by her on the couch. She said “Is Cozmo going to be ok?” I said I don’t know. “Is daddy going to take him to the doctor?” I told her we would have to see what her daddy said when he got home and saw Cozmo. She then said “I think it is my fault he is walking funny” Did your heart just shatter? Because at 5:30 last night when she said these words it broke.my.heart I asked her why she would think that. And she said “you know that bag you asked me to bring in from the car? I just put it on the floor and Cozmo fell on it then he started walking funny. So I think I hurt Cozmo. Is he going to die?” At this point I didn’t know how to respond to that question. After all I didn’t see him before he fell on the bag so I have no idea if he was walking funny before he fell on it or just what. I didn’t know if he had a stroke or if he was hurt. I truly didn’t know his fate at that moment. I just tried to ease her hurt by explaining that Cozmo is old (he is 15 ½) and at some point his body is going to give out and he is going to be ready to go to heaven. We just have to say prayers that he is going to be ok. Like a good mom, I just comforted her and assured her that it was not her fault Cozmo was hurt. These things just happen. In the back of my mind thinking I sure hope we don’t have to put him down tonight especially knowing that she is sitting there blaming herself. I am just glad she told me about him falling on the bag so that she didn’t keep that guilt building up inside of her. Poor Calyn!
I have to say that after Calyn told me about Coz falling on the bag a little sense of relief came over me. Cozmo has bad hips and granted I don’t want him to be hurting but sore hips are a little easier to deal with than a dog that has had a stroke.
Cozmo seemed to get better as the night went on. He was still having some trouble walking but nothing like it was around 5:30. We gave him some glucosamine for his joints hoping this will help. He usually takes this in the winter months anyway to help with sore hip joints.
So please, say a little prayer for our Cozmo. I sure hope he has a better day.
3 years ago



1 comment:
Bless her little heart and I sure hope Cozmo is doing better. :( Marta
Post a Comment