Friday, September 5, 2008

Some sad news from the Payne Family

Matt received word from his parents this morning that his Grandpa passed away last night.

His battle against Alzheimer's is now over and he can be at peace. He was recently diagnosed with pneumonia as well and was unable to swallow so therefore was unable to eat or drink anything, fluids would have just filled his lungs and he also had a DNR (do not resuscitate) request.

Matt and I will be heading to Ponca sometime in the next week to attend the funeral. We aren't sure of the dates at this time.


My kids didn't get to know their Great Grandfather much since he had already been diagnosed with Alzheimer's when Calyn was born and we live so far away. Still we are thankful that Calyn did get to meet him and spend some time with him before he went into the nursing home.

Here are some pictures of Calyn with her Great Grandpa Payne.
Calyn and Great Grandpa Payne

Matt, Charlie, Calyn and Great Grandpa Payne

6 comments:

timluanne said...

I hate to hear that about Matt's grandpa. Please let Matt know we are thinking of him at this time. Have a safe trip up to Ponca and back.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Matt's Grandpa. I know what a horrible existence it is for them, based on what we went thru with Grandpa Guier. I am still haunted by his eyes & his inability to communicate his thoughts. Matt's Grandpa is in a better place. Our thoughts & prayers are with you all.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you....take care, Luv Ya, Grandma

Pictures of Calyn,Matt, Charlie,and his Dad....priceless...PAB

Abbie said...

I am so sorry to hear about Matt's Grandpa. I am thinking of all of you during this time.

svara said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. At least you can take comfort in knowing he is in a better place now and no longer suffering. Have a safe trip and please let us know if we can do anything for you guys!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Matt's Grandpa. Know that our thoughts and our prayers are with you and your family.
Love,
Kristi, Thane, and Avery