I NEED Sleep! This is a statement I find myself making a lot. The question I ask myself a lot is why doesn't my 3 (almost 4) year old need sleep?
For those of you that read my blog that have small children and often think to yourself how did I get so lucky that my baby is easy to put down and sleeps so well... this is your warning IT COULD ALL CHANGE!
Calyn was always easy as a baby. By 6 weeks she was sleeping 8 hours a night and taking regular naps. Soon after that she started sleeping 11-12 hours and still taking good naps. This all continued until recently. Calyn now fights going to bed. She finds every excuse to come out of her room SEVERAL times before finally settling in. Last night Matt and I decided to start the nightly routine earlier so that maybe she would settle in a little earlier. WRONG! I think she still went to bed around 10ish. Not only that but I woke up twice during the night with little eyes staring at me. Do you know how creepy that is to have this feeling that someone is watching you only to wake up and realize that someone is...? If you don't know that creepy feeling, consider yourself lucky... Sigh... With that I am asking does anyone have any advice on how to get her to go to bed sooner and keep her in bed all night? We have tried bribery and we've tried threats (taking away toys and distractions that are in there) So far, nothing works or only works for a few days then it is back to the same stuff.
I have to think that part of the reason for the sleep problems is that Calyn's brain just has a hard time shutting down. She is so creative and funny. Just yesterday we took the kids to McDonalds for some ice cream. As we were coming out there were these stones outside the exit. Calyn asked if she could walk on them and I said sure. So she was stepping from stone to stone very carefully and said " I can't fall off there is hot lava down there" I said there is? She said "yes, and if I fall in I will FRY like bacon" Where does she get these things? She is so funny!
She may make me tired because of the lack of sleep, but man does she know how to make me smile and laugh.
3 years ago


4 comments:
I know where she gets it--you! You always kept us laughing with some of the funniest, but, of course, serious statements about your surroundings. And let us not forget, her daddy is Matt!!!! She keeps us laughing!!!!!Love, Grandma Chebs
I'm laughing because I dealt with the same issues until school started.. now that he doesn't get a nap usually by 8:30ish he is out. We still don't want to go to sleep and fight but once he is down he is out for the night. This is a kid that would stay up till 10 or 11 every night and wake up at 6 before.. trust me it may be bad now but it will get better when she stops taking naps in Kindergarten.
Is she still napping? Madeline does the same thing if she naps - but if there is no nap - she's out the 2nd her head hits the pillow! My only other advice is taking away something - but sounds like you've tried that. On the nights Madeline comes out - maybe the 2nd or 3rd time we tell her we're taking Lovey away - and you never see her again (bc we actually followed through on it once!)!
Cayln has convinced me....I never want to step off the rocks!!!!!!!!!! and I can just see her big brown eyes looking at you as you sleep....DD, you're "paying for your raising"..Hugs to all,Grandma
Post a Comment