Wednesday, January 6, 2010

SHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm Trying to Sleep

As some of you will remember, we started omitting Calyn's nap time because she was having a really hard time falling asleep at night. By cutting out the nap, it made her tired enough that by 9:00 or 9:30 it was bed time and she fell asleep fast
Every day after work when we get home, I turn on the TV for the kids to watch cartoons for about 30 minutes while I change my clothes and get dinner started. Last night, Calyn fell fast asleep on the couch within 5 minutes of being home. After dinner was fixed, I tried to wake her up only to get "I'm not sleeping, I'm playing with the kitties" ummm O.K.?? We don't have kitties. Figuring she was too deep in sleep I let he nap for a bit. Finally after 30 minutes I started working on her to wake up. I worked on her for an hour before she finally decided she was ready to sit up and get going again. I knew that because she had a nap, bed time was not going to be much fun.
At bed time we did the normal routine, brush teeth, pee pee, pick two books (one for daddy and one for mommy), read with daddy, snuggle with daddy, read with mommy, snuggle with mommy the time for bed.
Last night was no different EXCEPT after I snuggled with her and left her room about 5 minutes later she came out and said she needed daddy to snuggle again, when Matt came out from his second shift of snuggling, it was again my turn. When I left her room this time I explained that it was now time for bed and she needed to close her eyes. Do you think she did? If you guessed no you are right.
After about 10 minutes Calyn came out of her room and (in a whiney voice) said "I'm going to need you to stop talking you keep waking me up" Matt and I giggled said ok then she went back into her room. 5 minutes later, same thing "I was asleep then you guys woke me up with your talking" After she did this about 2 more times, Matt and I turned off the TV and made it a point to not say a word when she came into the room this time and said "I said please stop talking I can't sleep" We knew it was not us keeping her awake.
Poor little girl she had to have been miserable. I am not sure when she actually fell asleep. Matt came to bed between 11 and 11:30 so I know it was before then but I know for sure it was after my head hit the pillow at about 10:40. As I was drifting off I could hear Matt in the living room talking to her about her needing to go to sleep.
Tonight I am going to try and make it a point to keep her awake when we get home!

2 comments:

Mary said...

yeah, deachi...you were keeping me up too last night. could you try and be a little more quiet?? i could hear you all the way from my house!

Anonymous said...

She can't help that she is a night owl!! Poor thing! Marta