Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Implants!!!!

and I am not talking the ones that would get most guys excited. I am talking about the ones that go in your mouth. Tomorrow I will be going to the oral surgeon to get an implant to replace my #6.
This tooth has been nothing but trouble since about the 8th grade. This was when we changed dentists and I had some x-rays done. The dentist asked my mom if she was aware that I still had a baby tooth. As it turns out my permanent tooth was laying horizontal in the top of my mouth. They ended up doing surgery, pulling my baby tooth and trying to bring in my natural tooth with braces and rubber bands. Unfortunately the tooth did not survive so I ended up with a root canal, a post and a crown.
The crown has lasted me many years and has only fell out a few times once when eating a caramel apple the day before I was to start a new job and the other was just a few weeks ago, on a Sunday, when I was swishing with mouthwash.
The tooth is the third one from the front (you know my fang) Tomorrow they will put me under, go in pull out the post, possibly do a bone graph (if necessary) and put a more permanent structure (kind of like a titanium screw) in to act as a root system.
My body has to accept this and the bone will have to heal around it before they can put the new tooth on. You know what this means I will be toothless for 3-4 months, AT LEAST!
Me being a little vain I opted to get a flipper

A nice little tooth that will pop in and out. The good news I will not be toothlesss. The bad news I have to take it out when I eat. YIKES! I can just see it now, me at a business lunch munching away on a salad with my tooth so nicely sitting on a napkin beside my plate and me smiling really big as someone tells a corny office appropriate joke. Awesome!
Wish me luck! I am sure everything will go smooth tomorrow!

3 comments:

Mary said...

ah...no fun!!! good luck!

Leslie said...

OMG - you and my Dad will have to hang out with your fake teeth out! No seriously - good luck tomorrow - will be thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

Hope the new tooth...fits w/ease and you don't have any problems...will be thinking of you..cute video of Max...Hugs, Grandma