Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Happy Birthday to Lexi aka Three Toes Shits Blood Spins A Lot

Lexi my Mini Schnauzer turns 10 today!! Matt gave her to me Christmas eve in 1998. I love Lexi she is one of the best presents I have ever received as well as one of the most expensive and I don't mean when he bought her. Over Lexi's 10 year life we have spent a small fortune on this dog. What do I mean? Lets review:
At 4 years old Lexi peed on my floor. She never pees on my floor so I took her to the vet. Diagnosis 1 bladder stones. Not just a few bladder stones 75 of them ranging from the size of peas to golf balls. So surgery 1 : Bladder stone removal = about $2000.
Prescription Special food $40 / month
Diagnosis 2: A year later Lexi again pees on my floor again. Back to the doctor to find out there are more stones. This time they are small and we are told they can just flush them out. Cost of flushing out bladder stones $1500 (whoo hoo we saved $500)
Diagnosis 3: We get back from our wedding to find blood all over our house. Thinking that perhaps someone was murdered in our house. Come to find out, it was explosive diarrhea and because Lexi was so dehydrated it was pure blood! SICK!!! (vet visit and medication) about $400.
Diagnosis 4: Matt and I go to visit his Grandma and Lexi gets the same thing she had for Diagnosis 3. This time she has to be hooked up to an IV for 24 hours (medication and re hydration about $1000)
Diagnosis 5: A small suspicious spot on Lexi's paw pad appeared. I called the vet. They suggested I soak her paw in warm water with Epsom salt. It could be just a thorn or something that got infected. I should have known that would be to good to be true. May 4th of 2004 I take her in to have it biopsied $1200 for blood work and lab work. May 5th..... ITS CANCER!!! I cried and cried! I was so sad. She acted fine and was still playing after all she was only 5 1/2. My birthday May 6th o of 2004 Lexi had her left middle front toe amputated and the Cancer removed. (about $3200)
She now earns the Native American Indian name Three toes Shits Blood Spins A Lot (The name Spins A Lot is a whole other story)
She has now been cancer free and other surgery free for 4 1/2 years!!! Yeah Lexi!!! She was worth every penny!
Tonight she will be celebrating her birthday with her best friend Cozmo over a happy meal from McDonnalds.
I hope you all are doing great today!

This picture was taken right after her toe amputation :(

3 comments:

Merrick said...

Joyeaux Anniversaire Wittle Wegs.

Scott said...

She takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin!

Ryan said...

Bladder Stones - $2000
Flushing Bladder stones - $1500
Meds for dehydration - $400
Meds & IV for dehydration (2nd time) $1000
Amputated Toe - $4800
Naming her “3 toes shits blood spins a lot”.. Priceless

Lexi is such a sweet dog. I remember back in 98 when Matt bought her and you would bring her over to our house in Edmond. I know she has been a blessing and worth every cent!