Monday, May 18, 2009

The Ice Cream Melt Down

My friend Shawna had this darling post a couple of weeks ago about how her kids have a blast with making their own ice cream. They even request to make it in the morning for breakfast. She posted the recipe and the easy instructions and even gave a great idea on how to pass the five minuets of shaking the zip lock bags with the kids by having races with them rolling the bags across the floor. It really is a cute idea....
But our reality was MUCH different than Shawna's
OK, imagine this Merrick and I get the kids excited that we are going to try this new experiment. We get out bags of ice, put in the rock salt, mix the vanilla, milk and sugar in the smaller zip lock and get ready for fun, Right? WRONG!!! It started with Calyn coming in about the time it was time to shake. She wanted her dress back on I told her we were getting ready to make ice cream so she needed to stay nudie. She grabbed her bag shook and rolled for about 5 seconds then wanted her dress back on I told her she would have to wait until mommy was done shaking. At that very moment I dropped the bag and ice went everywhere. Calyn started crying. Enter Corry and Drew with Drew crying (not sure why because I was tending to a screaming Calyn) before long both Corry and Drew are crying and Merrick is vigorously shaking two bags of ice. She drops the first bag and ice goes everywhere. Not 10 seconds after she dropped her first bag she drops the second bag, again ice goes everywhere. At this point we have Calyn crying and saying "I want my dress back on" Corry saying "I DON'T want ice cream" and Drew still crying over the altercation that had occurred with Corry in the living room. While all of this was going on Max was just sitting quietly on the floor. He then had the audacity to pick up one of Drew's trains. An already upset Drew took the train away from Max and you guessed it Max started to cry. So now we have Calyn crying because she wants her dress on, Corry crying because she doesn't want ice cream, Drew crying because of the altercation and Max playing with his train, and Max crying because Drew took away the train. Poor Max was standing at my legs reaching up to me and I could see the water from my bag dripping on his head. :( NICE! That was the longest 5 minutes of shaking. LOL Finally we were done. Merrick poured one of her bags into a bowl first. When she tasted it she said this is awful it tastes like salt. (the kids are all still screaming)
Merrick then corralled the troops into the other room for a talk about being nice to each other and I poured the other two bags in a bowl. That is when I discovered that some how (probably when we dropped the bags, rock salt had managed to slip into the small zip lock baggies that held the milk, vanilla and sugar. Blech. Out of the three bags, only one came out successful. Once things settled down, Calyn ate one bite of it and said that's yummy but I am done. Corry Drew and Max didn't want to even taste it. Ahhh fun times.

I am sure in other circumstances it would have been fun. It may take time but once Merrick and I build up our courage we may try it again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing...so funny...moral of the story...buy the Ice Cream....the making of the Ice Cream sounds like an outside job...no mess...Love to all, Grandma

Sandi said...

I agree with Grandma - buy the ice cream or a real ice cream maker! That's a cute idea, but most kids don't have the attention span to make ice cream in a baggie. Let them bake bread instead - they love to knead (play) with the dough & their little pans of bread always come out great! The boys made bread when they were in pre-school & everyone had their own little loaf to take home.