Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Joys of Home Ownership

Sigh... well it was bound to happen at some point I just wish it happened in February or March when the weather here is perfect... That's right our AC went out.
We are setting record highs in Houston and the Payne household has no AC! Mom called me yesterday when she got to my house after the girls dance class to tell me it was 86 degrees in my house. Mom continued to watch the kids over there and we tried all the tricks from flipping the switch at the unit to flipping the breaker box. Nothing worked. When I left the house at 6 p.m. it was up to 88 degrees in there.
Needless to say, we didn't stick around, Matt, the kids the dogs and I had a sleep over at Grandma Chebs and Papa Bob's house. Dad graciously slept on the couch, Max slept in the pack and play in the study, Calyn and Matt slept in the spare bedroom and mom and I slept in their room.
Prim, our AC guy, (he did some work with the rent houses. He is a real stand up guy!) came out last night after he got off work to see if putting freon in it would get us though the night. After he took his initial look at it he said no sense in me doing that it won't do any good. He seems to think that it is a coil or the compressor both are obviously show stoppers that will probably cost us both of our arms and legs. What cha gonna do? He is supposed to go back out to assess the damage a little more.
I realize back in the olden days there was no such thing as AC and people survived but this isn't the olden days and IT IS HOT! :)
When we return home I fully expect my washer, dryer, and fridge to all be broken. Isn't that how it usually happens?

3 comments:

Scott said...

Isn't your house brand new? Your AC should be under warranty.

Matt and Deachi said...

We closed on our house 7 years ago in July. The warranty was a 5 year warranty. :( Figures huh? Prim was going to call them anyway to see if they would cover the parts but it's doubtful.

timluanne said...

I feel for you we have had problems with our coils..they were under warranty thank goodness but I know it was hot in there until it got fixed. Hopefully you get it fixed soon.