Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mamma Bird

Last night we took the kids for ice cream. When we got home I felt it was finally cool enough (at 8 p.m.) that I could water my yard and it would actually help it. As I started to unravel the hose from the hose holder to set up my sprinkler, this unknown animal came flying out of the compartment on the hose holder. It freaked me out I screamed, LOUD like a little girl waving my hands in the air and dancing around in circles! It was quite a sight I am sure. I walked around the corner cracking up as Matt was trying to get the kids out of the car. He asked what happened and I said something just flew out of the hose holder and attacked me. Ok, technically it didn't attack me but it flew right by my head hitting me in the head with it's wing.
There was good reason for the unknown animal to come at me. She was defending her home and her unborn babies. A momma bird has built a nest in the compartment to our hose holder and it looks like there is 3 or maybe 4 little eggs in there.
After she had flown off she sat in a tree as I carefully unraveled the hose (I didn't want to disturb her eggs) and she yelled at me the entire time. I could feel her little eyes just staring at me.
After my side yard was done being watered I went to move the hose to the front part of the yard. When I turned off the water to move it the same thing happened and again like a little girl I screamed and danced waving my hands in the air.
Matt turned off the water last night before going to the late show with Jimmy and Andrew I am curious to hear if momma bird did the same thing to him and see if he turned into a little girl too. My guess is yes. Even though you expect that she is going to fly out of there, it still freaks you out!

Calyn is very interested in the momma bird and her unborn babies. I am hoping it will be an interesting educational experience for her. We will see.

2 comments:

Merrick said...

That's funny. Kind of reminds me of when Jimmy found the wasps nest while cleaning out the gutters, or found the snake in a pile of rocks. He too can scream like a little girl.

Katherine said...

Your stories crack me up woman! I can just PICTURE all that! I would have done the same thing! Ha ha!