Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas

For those that don't know the story behind the song.

"The song "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" was written in 1950 by John Rox and became a nationwide hit in 1953 when ten-year-old Oklahoma native Gayla Peevey sang the song as a way to raise money for the Oklahoma City Zoo's first hippopotamus. In December of that year the city received Matilda the hippo for Christmas. " - pulled from the internet
The version of this song on my blog is sung by Shirly Temple.

2 comments:

Merrick said...

Perfection - thanks for adding my favorite Christmas tune ever. I can't wait to play it for Corry - I'm always singing it to her, but I substitute Corrypotamus for Hippopotamus :)

timluanne said...

That is one of my favorite Christmas songs! It is one though that I have found people either love or hate...I love it!